Before applying for a position, please take the time to browse the information below, and perhaps even follow some of the links for more information. This should provide you with a better understanding of the area we patrol and live in.
Employment opportunities at the Brattleboro Police Department
Before applying for a position, please take the time to browse the information below, and perhaps even follow some of the links. This will provide you with a better understanding of the area we patrol and reside in.
Application for the position of Police Officer with the Brattleboro Police Department
Mail all recruitment correspondence to:
Brattleboro Police Department
Attn: Recruiting Division
230 Main Street
Brattleboro VT 05301
Thank you for your interest in a position with the Brattleboro Police Department. The Brattleboro Police Department offers a multi-step police officer salary range between $42,120 - $56,100 effective January 1, 2016. Officers are eligible for additional compensation based on college education, specialized training, and membership on specialized units. Overtime is compensated at time-and-one-half normal pay rates. Membership in the New England Police Benevolent Association is required after one year of service. Applicants must be at least 20 years old and willing to commit to rigorous residential training at the Vermont Police Academy. All uniforms, weapons, and equipment are provided. Brattleboro offers a generous benefits package. Brattleboro participates in the Vermont State Retirement Plan D, which equates to 50% pay after 20 years of service and age 50. Overtime pay is included in the calculation of retirement pay. Benefits include paid holidays, vacation, and sick time.
We encourage everyone with a strong interest in serving our community to consider a career with the Brattleboro Police Department.
We are currently accepting applications for available positions in our Patrol Division. Please read the following information carefully, than complete and mail the following:
- On-line application, download, fill out, print, sign, notarize, and mail
- Copy of your driver's license
- Copy of your Social Security card
- Copy of your birth certificate
Your application will not be accepted if the above are not received.
Brattleboro Police Department Hiring Criteria
All issues related to the hiring criteria are verified by the use of a polygraph examination and a background investigation upon an offer of employment. The fitness standards are verified by both the Vermont Police Academy and the Brattleboro Police Department during the hiring process.
The following are the hiring criteria of the position of Police Officer. If you do not meet the criteria due to a specific issue you may request a waiver on that specific issue. A review of the facts surrounding the disqualifying issue and a determination of eligibility will be conducted.
- be a US citizen, or show active plans to pursue citizenship;
- be a minimum of 20 years of age for full time employment;
- have graduated from high school or possess a GED;
- receive a score of 70% or higher on the entrance examination;
- obtain VT certification within one year of employment;
- not have committed a felony or serious crime, as a juvenile or adult;
- not have committed a misdemeanor or other minor crime (excluding motor vehicle violations) within the past year, juvenile or adult;
- not be convicted of more than two misdemeanors or minor crimes (excluding motor vehicle violations);
- be not be convicted of a crime which an element of domestic violence was a part;
- not have more than two motor vehicle violations within the past year, or more than four in the past six years;
- possess a valid motor vehicle operator's license, not suspended, revoked or cancelled within the prior three years;
- must not have been found at fault in more than two motor vehicle crashes in the past six years;
- not have any outstanding unpaid summonses against you;
- not have illegally sold any controlled substances;
- not have illegally possessed any controlled substances in past three years;
- not have a mental, anxiety or psychological disorder requiring medication to control or that would interfere with the performance of essential job functions;
- not have illegally possessed any alcoholic beverages or committed any illegal act involving alcoholic beverages in the past year;
- not have committed three or more illegal acts involving the possession or consumption of alcohol or drugs of any kind within the past five years;
- believe you are psychologically able to lawfully take a human life if necessary;
- have an honorable discharge if you served in the military;
- have a good credit history;
- not have been affiliated with subversive organizations;
- not have advocated, advised, or taught the doctrine that the US government should be overthrown by force, violence or any unlawful means;
- be willing to sign a waiver allowing access to your complete background history;
- be willing to submit to a urinalysis for drug screening; - be willing to sign a prorated three year contract agreeing to reimburse the Town of Brattleboro for training costs if you voluntarily leave employment prior to completing three years of service; - be willing to submit to a polygraph examination.
Brattleboro Police Department Essential Job Functions
The following are the essential job functions for the position of Police Officer. If you are unable to perform one or more of the essential job functions, you will not be considered for a position.
- meet all of the physical fitness criteria as set by the Vermont Police Academy;
- be capable of performing every essential job function as set by the Vermont Police Academy and any additional standards as set by the Brattleboro Police Department;
- have a fitness level at or above average, as rated by the department's physician;
- not have a condition which limits or prevents the performance of any essential job function(s);
- have vision that is corrected to at least 20/30 in both eyes;
- have depth perception within acceptable limits (greater than 120 degrees);
- not have either the condition of night blindness or color blindness;
- have hearing sufficiently acute to hear and understand without amplification both a conversation spoken at a normal level at a distance of ten feet and over the telephone;
- pass the body fat percentage standards of the Vermont Police Academy;
- be able to both walk and stand, unaided, for the maximum duration of a patrol shift (10 hours) in all weather conditions reasonably faced in Vermont;
- be able to sit unaided in a cruiser for the maximum duration of a patrol shift;
- be able to wear all uniform equipment and perform all essential job functions for the duration of two consecutive shifts (20 hours);
- be able to meet departmental qualification standards with all department issued weaponry to include various firearms, defense sprays, and Tasers;
- be able to relate with the public on a regular basis in a professional manner.
Mail completed application to:
Brattleboro Police Department
Attn: Recruiting Division
230 Main Street
Brattleboro, Vermont 05301